As the city began to quickly expand in the beginning of the 20th century, several new Reformed churches were erected in the suburbs. The Szabadságtelep church was one of them; the Debrecen presbytery decided upon the building of a new church that can seat 700 persons on the initiative of the stated clerk Sándor Nagy Juhász in 1935. The new church was already finished at the same year; it was consecrated in 1936. Designed by Imre Dolhay, the building’s eclectic architectural style combines Transylvanian influences (especially in the case of the galleries) and conventional Hungarian folk motifs. The church square was named after Professor György Csipkés Komáromi, who translated a part of the Bible into Hungarian. Many of the surrounding streets were also named after prominent European and Hungarian figures of Reformation, such as Luther, Zwingli or Gál Huszár.