The Reformation encouraged the education of not only boys but girls, too. In the beginning, the first girls’ schools in Debrecen were organized according to streets or neighbourhoods. The unified Reformed girls’ school was founded in 1838. The school situated on Cegléd (today Kossuth) street offered a one-year program to those who finished their primary education. It became extended into a school with a two-year study program providing general education in 1859. Under the headmastership of Gedeon Dóczy (the institution is named after him today), it transformed into a school with an eight-year study program in 1874, then it also opened its dormitory in 1893. In the beginning of the 20th century, it became an educational institution that included a primary school, a secondary school, and a teacher-training college. The institution was confiscated by the state in 1952. Since 2002, a co-educated Reformed high school operates in the Neo-Romanesque building, which was built in 1929 according to the plans of Sándor Nagy. One of the famous students of the institution was Mrs Klára Zsindely (née Tüdős), a costume and fashion designer, who became the first head of the National Association of Reformed Women. Magda Szabó, the prominent Hungarian writer, was not only a student of the secondary school but later also worked there as a teacher. Her memory is preserved by a memorial room in the building.
The Szabó Magda Memorial Room can be visited during the weekdays. (Prior appointment is necessary.)