The former building of the Reformed Grand Grammar School is next to the New City Hall.
The impressive school palace was built in 1913-14 according to the plans of Samu Petz in Neo-Romanesque style. The Grand Grammar School (later Secondary School) of the College functioned here between 1914 and 1972. In 1992, the building and the Teacher-training College operating within its walls was given back to the church. Since 2014, it houses the Primary School and the Grammar School of the Reformed College.
Within the two world wars, the building was considered one of Hungary’s most modern school buildings with its spacious corridors, huge school rooms facing the courtyard, well-equipped laboratories, drinking fountains and automatic temperature control. Some of its famous students are: physicist Zoltán Bay, poet Lőrinc Szabó, chess Grandmaster Gedeon Barna, writer Imre Sarkadi, pentathlonist András Balczó, architect György Csete. By the entrance you can see a memorial plaque dedicated to the martyr politician József Szilágyi (the former student of the school worked as the secretary of Imre Nagy), and the statue of Ferenc Kölcsey, a famous student of the College. (The statue was made by József Rátonyi.)
The Mineral Collection and the János Kovács Animal Museum can be visited during weekdays in the school year. (Prior appointment is necessary.)